The Beginning Farmer of the Year award, sponsored by Routes to Farm, a Farmer Alliance of which AUA is a proud member, seeks to celebrate and promote YOU the amazing folks who are entering sustainable farming! How does it work?
Simply submit a 3-minute video to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 12th, 2018. Weâ€™ll post all videos on our website, and the video that wins the most votes wins AUAâ€™s nomination! From there itâ€™s on to the Good Food EXPO, where the winner takes home $1,000 and great publicity!
- Beginning Farmer of the Year receives a $1,000 award in a public ceremony and a free pass to Industry Day at the Good Food EXPO (Friday) in Chicago!
- Finalists (one farmer from each farmer alliance in Routes to Farm) will receive honorable mention, a $100 award, and a free pass to Industry Day at the Good Food EXPO (Friday)!
Additional Benefits of Participation:
- Broaden your farm’s visibility through features on routes2farm.org, FamilyFarmed.org, GoodFoodFestivals.com AUAChicago.org and LearnGrowConnect.org as well as inclusion in materials at the Good Food EXPO & Conference which reached 7500+ individuals in 2017 and farmer alliance websites and social media outlets.
- Build credentials with your customer base.
- Benefits from using the video submission in your own marketing and social media.
- Your farm featured in alternative agriculture publications and local press in collaboration with staff support at Angelic Organics Learning Center and FamilyFarmed.
- Build connections for your farm through attendance at the Good Food EXPO & Conference.
Each video must be 3 minutes or less and answer these ten questions to be eligible:
- What is your name and what is your farm’s name?
- Where is your farm?
- How long has your farm been in operation?
- How much land do you farm and what is it like? Is it urban, peri-urban or rural?
- What does your farm produce/sell and to whom?
- Why do you farm?
- What farmer alliance in Routes to Farm (routes2farm.org) are you a member of and for how many years have you been a member?
- How has your farmer alliance helped you launch or grow your farm?
- What is the biggest obstacle you face or have overcome as a beginning farmer?
- What is new on your farm next season? How are you innovating or growing?
Criteria for Selection:
- Video is 3 minutes or less and all eligibility questions are addressed
- Video shares a compelling, creative, humorous, or inspiring story
- Video demonstrates how farmer has been a leader, innovator, or community-builder
- Video features footage of the farm and the farmer
- The farmer is a member of at least one farmer alliance in Routes to Farm (routes2farm.org)
- The farmer is in the first 10 years of farm business operation
- The awardee agrees to attend and participate in the award ceremony at the Good Food EXPO in Chicago
- The video raises the public profile of beginning farmers, mentor farmers and the farmer alliances that support them
View simple videos from past awardees:
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2017 winner: Sugar Grove Farms: http://routes2farm.org/farmeraward/ (See 2017 Finalists as well!)
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2016 winner: Graniâ€™s Acres: https://youtu.be/GGpplcrKRio
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2015 winner: Purple Leaf Farm: https://youtu.be/pZc-VHvtY48
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2014 winner: LotFotL Farm: https://youtu.be/bDP0m2Tsl-c
- Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2013 winner: Radical Root Farm: http://youtu.be/98L5zLocVhs
See further details here: www.routes2farm.org/about/farmeraward/
Questions? Contact AUA at email@example.com or 773-850-0428!